2 tins tuna in brine
3 tins peeled plum tomatoes
2 large handfuls of lovage, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
50g anchovies (paste or chopped)
6 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
3 large chillies, finely chopped
1 large/2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 heaped teaspoon mixed herbs
100g unpitted olives
120g capers in vinegar
- Gently fry onions for 4 minutes, then add carrots, frying all until soft but not browned.
- Add garlic and chillies, frying for 2 minutes
- Add lovage and herbs, stir
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, anchovies and drained tuna, bringing to simmer
- Meanwhile, pit the olives by hand and add to the pan.
- Simmer gently for 30 mins or until reduced to a thick sauce, checking seasoning. The briny tuna should provide most of the salt you need.
- Boil pasta of your choice in salted water until al dente- I like fusilli or orchietti to catch the robust flavours of the sauce
- Add capers to sauce once the pasta is on - a bit of the vinegar won't hurt either
- Toss sauce into drained pasta sparingly - the sauce should be quite strongly flavoured and should go a long way!
Serve with freshly ground black pepper and grated parmesan or pecorino to taste.